- Mothers get highly confused with regards to breast feeding while going on flight journey. Let’s find out what things should be kept in mind with regards to breast feeding and flight journey.
- It is advisable to take up flight journey after two weeks, even if the child was healthy and perfectly fit at the birth time.
- For the children who were born underweight or have problems with wind pipe or food pipe or cut lips or a hole in the palate, flight journey is advisable after six months.
- Mother should always wear loose clothes during flight journey so that she can comfortably breast feed the baby.
- If the child is suffering from cold then proper medicines should be taken. Before the flight journey do not forget to give cough syrup as prescribed by the doctor.
- If the child is suffering from cold precautions should be taken that the nose is not blocked. If it’s blocked and mother feeds the baby, then there are chances of infection in the ears.
- During the landing and take-off, try and place cotton in the ears of the child. This is helpful in avoiding the huge noise and the air getting into the ears.
- After the flight gets stable at certain height, there is absolutely no problem to breast feed the baby. Remove the cotton placed in the beginning of the journey. Now the air pressure inside the flight and also in the nerves of the child’s ears is almost same.
- It is advisable that the child does not take feeding for long duration. Instead can take up for few minutes. Then stop for some time and then give again. If the child is stopped after every few minutes then the outside air will go in his or her mouth. This is important because the air pressure in the mouth and ears should not remain low.
- In the flight, mother should sit and feed the baby. She should avoid feeding the baby while lying down. It’s not just about the flight journey. But there are chances that ear drums might get damaged when the mother breast feeds the baby in lying position. If this happens time and again then the ear drums may get ruptured and even mucus may also get collected. This chances increase during flight journey.
- If the child is having too much cough and running nose and the nasal drops are unable to open the blockage of the nose, then avoid breast feeding during flight journey. This may affect the internal organs of the ears and at times there might be chances that instead of food pipe the milk might get into the wind pipe and resulting into breathing troubles for the child. This can be highly dangerous. In such cases, it is advisable to give EBM to the child with bowl and spoon.
- For those children who are not taking breast milk and are having bottle milk above mentioned precautions should be followed.
- For a long distance journey, there are special cabins for the mothers to breast feed their babies comfortably. Mother can feed the baby without any hesitation and stress.
- Highly unwell children who have to be given milk through in the nose or mouth should be made to travel with proper medicines, eminent nurses and oxygen cylinders. In foreign countries, there is facility of air ambulance for such children.
An infant does not recognise any one in the world. The little one can only connect with the mother who feeds him or her. Feeding helps to build a strong bond of love and emotion.
Before the birth the child is well protected in mother’s womb from any kind of infection of the outside world. And after the birth the responsibility is well taken up by the mother’s milk.