Australia’s national animal Kangaroo keeps its new born baby in the pouch on its stomach and nurtures it. Similar method is used for the kids who are born underweight and are weak. During pregnancy the child stays in the womb of the mother [KMC]. Such similar condition should be followed for some time after the delivery. This method has proved to be a boon for the kids whose weight is less than two kilograms at the time of birth. In this method, the child is held in such a manner that the child is in direct contact with the mother’s chest.
- During pregnancy the child in the mother’s womb. An effort is made to keep the new born in the similar position after coming out from mother’s body.
- The temperature of the underweight baby is maintained by this method.
- The milk is formed faster and in good quantity. The child learns feeding faster. As a result the weight of the child increases faster.
- In this method, there are less chances of the child getting infected.
- Underweight child has to be kept in the hospital for less number of days. Hence, hospital’s charge gets reduced.
- As the new born child, gets mother’s touch, love and compassion, his mental growth develops and on long run the brain develops in a better way.
- Sometimes after delivery mother feels low and down. But after practicing this method she feels much better she will feel highly satisfied.
- Apart from father, dadi, nani, uncle, aunt or any family member can give KMC to new born child.
- There is no need to worry even if there is power cut or electricity supply is there because this method does not require electronic equipment.
- This method has proved to be boon for the children weighing from 1800 grams to 2500 grams.
- In case of twins mother can give KMC to both the kids simultaneously.
New energy in the new born child
- The new born child is highly sensitive to touch. Direct touch of mother’s chest, breast brings new energy in the new born child.
- Even where well-equipped ICU or new equipment are not available, the lives of new born children can be saved through KMC.
- The way a hen hatches and raises her chicks, similarly a mother can also give her warmth to the child.
Method of KMC
- Select a peaceful room. Make the child wear a cap and nappy. Keep child’s stomach and breast open. Mother should wear a shirt or gown which can be opened from the front.
- Place the child onto mother in a frog’s position with legs widened. See to it that mother and child are in direct contact. Try and see that maximum part of the child’s body touches the mother.
- Place the child between both the breasts. Try and keep the child’s face facing one side. See that the nose does not get pressed. Be careful that the child is able to breathe properly.
- See that the child does not slip off or his neck does not get bent. Mother should be in half sitting and half lying down position. This position will be best for the child. In this position mother’s stomach will be 30 to 40 degree lowered down and the child will have enough room for breathing.
- In the Kangaroo method, even if the child feels that it’s little or squeezed up then also it’s okay. As the child is habituated to live in very small place in the uterus of the mother. He or she does not feel uncomfortable.
- The child will benefit, if he or she stays in KMC method. If the child and mother feel comfortable then the child should be given KMC continuously for 3 to 4 hours. If the child takes feeding in this method then there is no need to change the position.
- After every three hours, even if 20 minutes of KMC is done then it is also a successful method of giving KMC. Mother can sleep while keeping the child on the chest. Mother can give KMC in the night also in the similar way she is giving during the daytime.
- Mother can sit in a resting chair while giving KMC. Both of the parents can decide mutually when to give KMC. Mother can give KMC in the morning and father can give in the evening. It can be decided on the suitability of the parents.
For which children it is more beneficial?
- This is the best practice for the kids whose weight is 1800 grams to 2000 grams during birth.
- This method is highly beneficial for the children whose weight is less 1800 grams and who do not require intensive care or may be the intensive care of such child is over and he or she is handed over to the mother.
- This method is like a blessing if the new born baby is travelling or the baby is being shifted to a hospital. In the beginning the mother may not be comfortable but slowly and gradually both get comfortable with this practice.
Till when KMC?
KMC can be practiced till the time the underweight baby reaches to 3.5 kg or 4 kg after that baby’s movements increase and hence many mothers find difficulty in giving KMC.
Problems faced by the mother
- Possibility of non-cooperation from the family members and society.
- People scare by saying something will happen to the child.
- When the child does potty or urine.
- Mother gets irritated because of the heat of the summer season.
- Mother has to change the positions of the child when she wants to sleep, go for bath, eat food, use washroom etc.
We have learnt this from animals
KMC practice is a creation of God which means gives natural warmth to your child by keeping the child close to your body in such a way that the child can feel every sense organ of the mother. After the birth, the child and mother get each other’s love and warmth. KMC increases the confidence of the mother. Really, in the world science and technology, humans have yet to learn and follow many things from nature.
In history, there are many stories that narrate episodes when just after delivering the baby, queen had died. Just to feed the child mother’s breast milk, the mothers who could breast feed the child was searched. So that the prince in future would become strong, intelligent, brave and possess good qualities. History depicts that a maid named Panna fed the royal princes with her breast milk and thus did a noble cause.