Let’s try to know about the various nutrients in the breast milk.
- TAURINE– The amino acid named Taurine which is present in the breast milk helps in developing the brain cells and also works magnificently in the development of the retina. The Taurine which is present in ample quantity in colostrum as well as mature breast milk is highly helpful in the digestion of the fats and also absorption of Vitamin D. The underweight babies need more Taurine. Taurine is not present in cow’s milk. In the milk powder Taurine can be added but it is not that effective like the Taurine present in mother’s milk.
- In mother’s milk the iron content is little less and whatever the content is present, out of it 50% to 75% of iron is absorbed by the intestine of the baby. Only 4% of the total iron which is present in the formula milk or powder milk is more, then the unwanted cells which are present in the intestines will also get the iron and they will develop in the intestine of the child.
- In mother’s milk, substances like Endocannabinoids, 2- Arachidonoylglycerol and Endamaid are present which help in the digestion of the new born and stops his system from feeling hungrier. These substances are not present in the outside milk. So they often feel hungry and there is absorption and digestion of fats which increases their weight to a great extent. Because of the absence of these substances, their immunity fight against outside substances decreases and hence they suffer from intestinal problems, gastric problems and diarrhoea very often.
Oxytocin and prolactin release
- Oxytocin contracts the uterus stops bleeding. Prolactin increases the quantity of breast milk. Because of this reflexes, when mother is feeding the baby she feels little hot and also feels thirsty. Touch of the baby, cries of the baby, proper sleep and relaxed mood of the mother increases these reflexes in the baby. When mother is under stress and takes inadequate amount of sleep then these substances automatically reduces.
- Omega 3, fatty acid, DNA and Laiconic acid, Omega 6 fatty acid [ ARA Laiconic Acid] makes a shield of brain cells named Maylin in the child’s brain. It carries messages of the brain from one place to another and also activates and circuits the brain cells. Because of the DHA, the breast fed babies IQ increases. Almost 80% of the development and growth of brain takes place in last 3 months of pregnancy till the child becomes two years old. Hence the best source of Taurine, DHA and ARA which are essential for the new born baby is the mother’s milk. DHA does the marvelous job of enhancing the mental growth of the child, intelligence, eyesight, immunity and better working of intestine. A question still is unanswered about the addition of DHA and Taurine and their effectiveness in the outside milk.
- Lipase- Towards the end of the breast milk that baby has, lipase is present. It breaks the fats into small particles and helps in the digestion of the fats. Because of this reason mother’s milk is easy to digest in comparison of the outside milk. Even the energy used for digestion is less. Because of the absorption of Vitamin C, Zinc and iron in the body the production of DHA increases.
- Apart from this, the breast milk contains Epidermal growth factor, Endorfin, Leptin, interlucin, nucleiotides, lactoferrin, lysozyme, luecocytes, befeeds factor, seceretary A, oliod acid, palmitic acid and also human milk oligosaccharides which increases the immunity of breast fed babies and have immense nutrients. They help in reducing unwanted organisms from the intestine and magnesium, calcium and potassium helps in the absorption and digestion of the nutrients which are essential for the child’s physical and mental growth.
|No.||Nutrients||Human milk||Cow milk||Buffalo milk||Goat milk|
|8||Mineral matter (gram)||0.21||0.72||0.8||0.77|
|20||Vitamin A (I.U)||160||0.04||200||120|
|21||Vitamin D (I.U)||1.4||0.18||–||2.3|
|25||Pantothenic acid (mg)||0.20||0.35||–||–|
|26||Vitamin B (mg)||0.001||0.035||–||–|
|27||Folic acid (micro gram)||1.3||5.6||3.3||0.7|
|28||Biotin (micro gram)||0.4||2.0||–||1.5|
|29||Vitamin B (micro gram)||0.03||0.50||0.30||0.10|
|30||Vitamin c (mg)||4.0||2.0||2.5||2.0|